JVE - International
The 10th edition of the Cultural Biodiversity Week will be held at Tsiko, from the 10th to the 17th August 2014.
According to the 2nd Article of the Biological Diversity Convention, adopted on May 22, 1992 the term "biodiversity" is "the variability among the living organisms from all sources including, earth , marine ecosystems and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part of: this includes diversity within species, between species and of ecosystems. "
The Meeting of the Council of Ministers considered as the constituent meeting of the Mono Basin Authority was held on July 4th, 2014 in the conference room of the Palais des Congrès in Cotonou, Benin.
The opening ceremony of the meeting was chaired by the Minister for the Environment representing His Excellency François ABIOLA, Minister of State in charge of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
The following persons took part inthis meeting:
· The Minister of the Environment in charge of the Management of Climate Change, Reforestation and the Protection of Natural Resources and Forestry of Benin,
· The Togolese Minister of Rural facilities,
· The Minister of Decentralization, Local Governance, Administration and Territorial Development of Benin,
· The ECOWAS Commissioner for Agriculture, Environment and Water Resources
· The Executive Secretary of the Niger Basin Authority (NBA)
· The Deputy Executive Director of the the Volta Basin Authority (ABV)
· The District of Mono / Couffo Administrator
· The Mayors of the Mono Basin Townships
· The experts Members of the Technical Committee of the Mono Basin Autority
· Representatives of of Civil Society Organizations,
· Technical and Financial Partners
The meeting of the Ministers was preceeded by a preparatorymeeting of experts held on July, 2nd and 3rd 2014 in Cotonou.
Having acquainted the conclusions of the session of the experts, the Ministers proceeded to the examination and the adoption of the following acts:
· Resolution on the approval, signature and ratification of the constituent texts of the Mono Basin Authority
· Resolution on the adoption of a roadmap for effective implementation of the Mono Basin Authority
· Resolution on the appointment of an Acting Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Mono Basin Authority
· Resolution on the establishment of budgetary provisions for the operation of the Mono Basin Authority in 2015
· Resolution on the provision of logistical support to the Mono Basin Authority by the country that hosts the headquarters for a period of five years
· Resolution on the address of a special motion recognition to ECOWAS
· Resolution on the address of a motion of gratitudes to the Technical and Financial Partners
The Ministers expressed their political will and determination to complete the process of implementation of the Mono Basin Authority. They invite all the technical and financial partners to support this initiative which will contribute to socio-economic development for the benefit of the peoples of both countries.
At the conclusion of their meeting, the Ministers expressed their sincere gratitudes to His Excellency Dr. Boni Yayi, the President of the Republic of Benin, the Government and the population of Benin for the warm and fraternal welcome extended to them and for the exceptional quality in holding the meeting.
Done at Cotonou, July, 4th 2014
The Minister of the Environment in charge of the Management of Climate Change, Reforestation and the Protection of Natural Resources and Forestry of Benin
The Togolese Minister ofRuralfacilities
The Mono Basin Authority will soon be a reality
The Management of transboundary basins is often a source of conflicts between states. To avoid any misunderstanding, Togo and Benin are considering the establishment of a common organization for the Mono Basin, the Authority of the Mono Basin.